Heidi Klum has replaced Cameron Diaz as the most dangerous celebrity to search for on the Web, according to Internet security company McAfee. For the fifth year in a row, McAfee researched popular culture’s most famous people to reveal the riskiest celebrity athletes, musicians, politicians, comedians and Hollywood stars on the Web. The McAfee Most Dangerous Celebrities™ study found movie stars and models top the “most dangerous” list this year while singers and sports stars are among the safest.
Cybercriminals often use the names of popular celebrities to lure people to sites that are actually laden with malicious software. Anyone looking for the latest videos or pictures could end up with a malware-ridden computer instead of just trendy content.
Fans searching for “Heidi Klum” or “Heidi Klum and downloads,” “Heidi Klum and ‘free’ downloads,” “Heidi Klum and photos” and “Heidi Klum and videos” are at risk of running into online threats designed to steal personal information. Clicking on these risky sites and downloading files like photos, videos or screensavers exposes surfers or consumers to the risk of downloading the viruses and malware.
McAfee research found that searching for the latest Heidi Klum pictures and downloads yields more than a 9% chance of landing on a website that has tested positive for online threats, such as spyware, adware, spam, phishing, viruses and other malware.
The study uses McAfee SiteAdvisor software that provides ratings that indicate which sites are risky to search for celebrity names on the Web and calculate an overall risk percentage. The top 10 celebrities from this year’s study with the highest percentages of risk are:
1. Heidi Klum – Klum, the former Victoria’s Secret model and current producer of “Project Runway” moved up from #10 on last year’s list to #1 today. Searching for Klum results in nearly a one in ten chance of landing on a risky site.
2. Cameron Diaz – 2010’s Most Dangerous Celebrity fell to 2nd place, with searches resulting in slightly fewer risky sites this year. She has most recently been in the spotlight with her 2011 movies “Bad Teacher” and “The Green Hornet.”
3. Piers Morgan – A new addition to the top 10 list, Morgan also the most dangerous male celebrity. He is best known as the host of “Piers Morgan Tonight,” taking over for Larry King, a winner of the “Celebrity Apprentice,” and one of the judges on “America’s Got Talent.”
4. Jessica Biel – 2009’s Most Dangerous Celebrity fell one more spot this year with searches resulting in fewer risky sites. Biel continues to be in the spotlight with her on-again, off-again relationship with Justin Timberlake, and appeared in “The A-Team” in June 2010.
5. Katherine Heigl – The former “Grey’s Anatomy” star moved into the top 10 for the first time this year. Heigl has appeared in recent movies such as “Killers” and “Life as We Know It.”
6. Mila Kunis – The former star of “That 70s Show” makes her first showing in the top 10 list, bolstered by starring in movies such as “Black Swan” and “Friends with Benefits.”
7. Anna Paquin – This “True Blood” star is as dangerous on the Web as she is on the screen. She moved up from #10 last year to #7 this year.
8. Adriana Lima – Searching for downloads of this Brazilian beauty can direct users to red-ranked sites. Lima is best known for being a Victoria’s Secret Angel since 2000. Searching for Lima became slightly safer, moving her from #6 last year, to #8 this year.
9. Scarlett Johansson – The former child star has gotten more dangerous as she’s grown up. Named in 2010, as “Babe of The Year” by GQ Magazine, Johansson most recently appeared in “Iron Man 2.”
10. Emma Stone, Brad Pitt and Rachel McAdams – Pitt has been a mainstay of this list, appearing in the top 10 for the past four years. Stone and McAdams are new to the top ten. Stone, the star of last year’s “Easy A” has appeared in “The Help” and “Crazy Stupid Love” this year. McAdams has most recently appeared in “Morning Glory” and “Midnight in Paris.”
Labels: Heidi Klum